I’m ready to up the ante with minimalism.
A few years ago I heard about the 333 Project, a minimalism project in which participants choose 33 articles of clothing and wear only those items for three months.
Three months feels like a long time, and by then we’ll be heading into fall and different clothing items may be needed by then. So I decided to set myself up for success and create the 30/30 Challenge instead. I like celebrate small wins; they give me the motivation I need to continue!
So for the 30/30 Clothing Challenge, I’ll wear only 30 articles of clothing for the next 30 days.
I’ve been creating a wardrobe capsule for the last couple years, buying only articles of clothing that I really love and that are both affordable, flattering, and go with other clothing items I already own. This groundwork makes the 30/30 Clothing Challenge a little easier but even if you don’t have a wardrobe capsule, it’s still very doable.
NOTE: For this challenge, undergarments don’t count and workout clothes don’t count, although I’m limiting those to five items each, also.
Along with my list of 30 items for the next month, I’m also including when they were purchased so you can see that it wasn’t all at once.
I got very intentional about clothes a couple years ago, then drilled down even further after my divorce last year. I started reclaiming my personal style and bought items that felt like they were truly me and got rid of the rest. It’s liberating!
Over the last two years, I’ve typically spent around $200 in the Spring and Fall to get some new clothing items, and I try to stick to a “one in, one out” policy and donate one old item for each new item I purchase. I want to only keep items that make my heart go pitter-pat.
Here’s the list:
Only the clothing articles in BOLD were purchased new this summer.
- Black and white striped dress (2019)
- Black dress (2016)
- Boho printed dress (Winter 2019)
- White eyelet summer dress (2019)
SHORTS & PANTS
- Camo shorts (Summer 2020)
- Denim cutoff shorts (Summer 2020)
- Denim elastic waist shorts (Summer 2020)
- Light blue jeans (Winter 2019)
- Dark blue jeans (Winter 2019)
- Grey slacks (2019)
- White muscle tank (Summer 2020)
- Black muscle tank (Summer 2020)
- Maroon muscle tank (Summer 2020)
- Rose / Mauve halter tank (Summer 2020)
- Floral tee (Spring 2020)
- Heather ivory and black tee (Spring 2020)
- Black tee (Spring 2020)
- Black and white polka dot tee (Spring 2020)
- Black lace tee (Spring 2020)
- Denim blazer (20-ish years ago)
- Olive green jacket (2018)
- Long chambray jacket (2016)
- White Converse (2019)
- Black flip flops (2015)
- Light brown sandals (Summer 2020)
- Black sandals (Summer 2020)
- Black walking shoes (Winter 2019)
- Black flats (Spring 2020)
- Ivory purse (2019)
- Black and white striped backpack (Winter 2019)
Since undergarments and fitness clothes don’t count, here’s what I’m doing with those:
- 5 pairs of leggings
- 5 sports bras
- 5 tank tops
- 5 regular bras (including one convertible / strapless)
- 5 pairs of panties
- 5 pairs of black workout socks
- 1 pair of running shoes
- 1 bikini / swimsuit
I’m taking everything else out of my closet so I can’t even be tempted or absentmindedly grab something that isn’t on the list. And it’s quite likely that many of those items won’t ever make it back in.
Wish me luck! Or better yet, join me!